PARENTAL GUIDELINES FOR SAFE AND EFFECTIVE USE OF INTERNET
The potential of Information technology as a valuable learning resource is immense. However, if children use the internet without safety awareness, they may fall prey to illegal activity or abuse such as cyber bullying, fraud or something even more serious. Hence, awareness of internet safety norms is absolutely indispensable to make children free to explore knowledge without feeling intimidated. Increasing proliferation and sophistication of various electronic devices makes it all the more obligatory for schools to control and monitor
their use by students. Our School promotes a safe and secure educational environment for effective teaching
The Guidelines stated below must be kept in mind to ensure your ward’s safety online
1) Placing the family computer at common room can help, monitor that children are always safe on Internet
2) Secure Your Computer: Install Antivirus, Desktop Firewall solutions against malware and unauthorized access
3) Use Parental Controlsto filter and block inappropriate material and protect children from online attacks, exposing to risks, inappropriate content and other threats
4) Create strong passwords for your accounts and avoid saving on screen
5) Secure your web browser before accessing Internet always ,block pop-ups and allow only trusted web sites depending on the requirement .
6) Be careful online and don't click unknown links
7) Secure your home Wi-Fi network - Ensure safe browsing for everyone by installing effective Safe Browsing tools
8) Set Family Rules for Accessing Internet- Understand the need and set boundaries for online safety
9) Give unconditional acceptance to the child so that the child feels comfortable in telling everything in his /her life
10) Be vigilant about the activities or games the child indulges in on internet including social media
11) Connect with your child, ask how things are going. Ask if there have been things stressing them, or anything that has caused anxiety or worry to them and if they need your help / assistance.
12) Don’t discuss about undesirable games.
13) Monitor your children's online and social media activity to ensure they are not engaging in any such undesirable activities.
14) Remind your child that you are there and will support them always.
15) Keep your eyes open for:
Ø Any cuts / injuries/ bruises on child’s body
Ø A sudden increase in the time they spend online, especially social media
Ø They seem to change screens on their device when approached
Ø They become withdrawn or angry, after using the internet or sending text messages
Ø Their device suddenly has many new phone numbers and email contacts
Ø Becoming withdrawn from friends and family
Ø Shows Persistent low mood and unhappiness
Ø Seems to be worried that stops him from carrying out day to day tasks
Ø Disinterest in activities that they used to enjoy
20) If you fear your child may be at risk, get professional help straight away
21) Spend more time with your kids and utilize their pent up energy in creative ways.